6. READ. LOOK. THINK.
- “A lot of us, whether we have met her or not, have known Patti Smith for a long time. Like Walt Whitman, another one of her visionary precursors, she contains multitudes.” NYTimes.com
- “I was no longer afraid to die. I was now afraid not to die.” Having dissected the pain of others for decades, Joan Didion has spent the last few years turning the scalpel on herself. | NY Mag
- Eugenides: How I learned to stop worrying and write ‘The Marriage Plot’
- Nice idea: articles club.
- “the cold truth is that not all of us are brilliant / we are not all big thinkers. Not everyone’s TED talks will change the world / some of us will just dissipate into the ether | NY Mag
- ‘Death comes to Pemberly’ PD James’ Pride and Prejudice sequel/mystery is out Nov 3!
- “This blog is one of the ways I try to pay attention.” even*cleveland
- F.lux makes the color of your computer’s display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.
- Roy Lichtenstein makeup tutorial.
- “Desperate to stand out, while constantly being encouraged by their instructors to be uniform:” Rachel Popo’s Desperately Perfect is a glimpse into the world of ballet.
- Girls, a mixtape (I love Summer in the City)
- The secret life of the overlooked: How to find the hidden spots in your town. | Rookie
- Invisible Stories, a Tumblr
- Artemis from Junkaholique has renovated a VW camper van for zooming/camping round Britain
- When They Were Young, a Tumblr
- “I worked on giving Blossom a look that girls could copy without using anything more than their imaginations and a willingness to experiment.” Refinery29 interviews the costume designer behind 90s show ‘Blossom’.
- Leaf lanterns | imaginechildhood.com
- Pretty sketches from The Flower Appreciation Society
- Neurotics experience more immersion when watching films.
- Thirteen Observations made by Lemony Snicket while watching Occupy Wall Street from a Discreet Distance.
- How to be interesting, by someone in advertising I admire.
- Shop class as soulcraft: the value of working with your hands | The New Atlantis
- “You can’t convert the ideologues because they don’t care what the facts are. With the world as it is, you have to fight the fight you can win, and the fight you can win is economics.” Bill Clinton talks to Simon Schama
- “Many environmentally concerned people today view technology as an affront to the sacredness of nature, but our technologies have always been perfectly natural.” | Orion Magazine
- Deep ecology.
- My wrap up of the week’s top strategy + creativity + marketing reads on Nextness.