12. READ. LOOK. THINK.
- “Is there a failure more immediately public than trying to look beautiful and falling short?” | The Beheld
- When does a writer become a writer? | The Atlantic
- “I think that loneliness is one of mankind’s greatest dilemmas.” | Kara VanderBijl
- 10 best books of 2011 | NYTimes.com
- “My Grandmother always asks me if “I’m happy” and I find this such an inane question. There seems to be more to life than happiness. No?“
- There’s a new literary prize for works of fiction or nonfiction that “advance public understanding of the relationship between humans and animals, the ethical treatment of animals, and animal sentience.”
- “I’ve been so lucky in receiving not only cozy portraiture of German ’80s musical icons, but of completely unexpected kindness, as well.“
- The mourning after: why we should celebrate artists while they are alive. | “I know from my own experience how hard it is to send a creative piece into the world and hear only silence.”
- Sylvia’s “had some good fortune lately. She sold a long rather bad poem.” Ted Hughes, underminer, in a letter to his sister.
- Exciting times for Vic.
- The Books They Gave Me, a Tumblr. In which we reflect on books given us by loved ones.
- Picasso | Francoise Gilot
- IN and OUT, what it’s like to catch Mumbai trains during rush hour.
- Doodling in sewing form.
- Studio of Laurie Spiegel, composer | ouno
- The significance of the typeface on Jarvis Cocker’s book of lyrics.
- Marc by Marc Jacobs velvet mouse slippers.
- “By then, he belonged to the occupation. Liberty Square was his home.” | The New Yorker
- Unclean energy. “In the end, the best case to be made for fracking is that much of what is already being done is probably even worse.” | The New Yorker
- My wrap up of the week’s top strategy + creativity + marketing reads on Nextness.
This will be my last READ. LOOK. THINK. this year while I’m away for Christmas hols!